Carbon monoxide poisoning is one of the scariest potential disasters in a building. Carbon monoxide detectors are available alongside smoke detectors, and most states require their use because these devices increase safety. This type of poisoning can be deadly, and every homeowner or renter in Hawthorne Woods, IL, needs to be aware of the dangers and how to avoid them.

What Is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is a gas that is odorless, colorless and tasteless. It occurs when gasoline, wood, charcoal, propane or other fuel burns. Without adequate ventilation, it dangerous to breathe. Common examples are gas and oil furnaces that are no longer functioning properly. Excessive exposure to this gas can be fatal.

Occupants of homes and other buildings must maintain proper ventilation and keep carbon monoxide at safe levels to maintain good indoor air quality in Hawthorne Woods, IL. If you are unsure whether your property is safe, contact a licensed professional for a consultation.

What Does It Do To Your Body

Long before succumbing to this poisonous gas, the body experiences other effects. Sufferers can experience mild headaches and nausea as well as more severe symptoms like dizziness, shortness of breath and loss of consciousness. Unfortunately, if you are asleep, intoxicated or unable to escape, you could suffer brain damage or even die.

How to Stay Safe

It’s good to know that the standards for safeguarding against this potential poisonous gas are universal. But wherever you live, installing detectors and maintaining proper ventilation are critical steps in safeguarding the health and lives of your household or employees.

Consulting a professional company for fall maintenance is your best bet moving forward. Contact us at Martin Enterprises, where we can correct any safety hazards in your home or other building, during a maintenance appointment and install a carbon monoxide alarm to protect you from toxic fumes.

Image provided by iStock

Font Resize
Contrast

Pin It on Pinterest