With the winter season in the not too distant future for Chicago’s northwest suburbs, fall is the right time to perform critical home maintenance. Taking care of your home now helps ensure that everyone stays safe, warm and comfortable indoors when outdoor temperatures plunge. Use this essential checklist to make sure that you’re ready for anything Old Man Winter throws your way.
- Reduce Air Infiltration. Seal gaps around fixtures like recessed lighting, electrical outlets and vents to keep the air you’ve paid to heat indoors.
- Schedule Heater Maintenance. Have a qualified HVAC technician perform preventive maintenance on your heating system to ensure safe, efficient and reliable operation.
- Check the Chimney. Use a flashlight to inspect the chimney for excess soot or pest intrusion and ensure that the damper works properly.
- Insulate Pipes. Wrap plumbing pipes in unheated spaces with foam-rubber sleeves, fiberglass insulation or heating tape to help prevent them from freezing.
- Change Batteries. Keep your family safe by replacing the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.
- Inspect the Foundation. Protect your property from damaging water intrusion by repairing cracks in your home’s foundation.
- Check the Roof. Inspect the roof for missing, crumbling or cracked shingles. Remove any tree branches that could fall and damage the roof.
- Clean the Gutters. Hose out the gutters, repair leaking or loose-fitting connections and make sure that downspouts drain water away from the foundation.
- Weatherproof Windows. Seal drafty windows with caulk or weatherstripping. Repair any cracks in the sill or molding that might allow water to seep into walls.
Stay Warm and Save Money This Winter
Heating accounts for around 50 percent of household energy use in Illinois. Fall heating services from Martin Enterprises can make a big difference when it comes to lowering your winter energy bills. For additional information, explore our home heating solutions or give us a call at (844) 232-4554.