The last thing you need when the cold, blustery Buffalo Grove, Illinois, winter blows in is to wake up to an ice-cold house and have to call for emergency furnace repairs. Here are ways to prepare your furnace for winter so it will keep you safe and warm through the cold months.
Schedule Furnace Maintenance
It is important to check your furnace before turning it on after several months of disuse. Call a professional heating, ventilation and air conditioning contractor to do a winter tune-up. Preventive maintenance includes:
- Checking thermostats
- Cleaning or replacing filter
- Inspecting electrical connections
- Examining and cleaning heat exchanger, burners and ignition
- Cleaning condensate system
- Ensuring unit cycles properly
- Inspecting ducts for leaks or poor joins
- Lubricating moving parts
- Testing for dangerous gases
- Inspecting plenum and housing
Preventive furnace maintenance ensures that each component works properly and the system functions efficiently, reducing breakdowns and saving energy.
Homeowner Maintenance Checklist
There are several tasks homeowners can do to maintain comfort and reduce energy usage.
- Check that registers are not obstructed by furniture or other objects. This ensures that air flows freely.
- Vacuum and clean registers regularly to prevent blockages.
- Check for drafts around windows, doors and electrical outlets. Weatherstrip if needed.
- Check HVAC air filters each month. Clean or replace as needed.
- Test carbon monoxide and smoke alarms to make sure they are working. Change batteries each year to make sure the device operates properly.
- Keep the area around the outdoor compressor cleared of vegetation and debris.
If you have a gas-burning furnace, carbon monoxide alarms are mandatory in Illinois.
Call the Experts at Martin Enterprises Heating & Air Conditioning
Call Martin Enterprises Heating & Air Conditioning at 847-719-8442 to schedule preventive maintenance for your furnace or heat pump before cold weather hits. We offer 24-hour emergency service for problems that cannot wait.